Posted on: September 21, 2023
First Presbyterian Church
Position DescriptionTitle: Director of Christian Education
Accountable to: Senior Pastor/Head of StaffPosition Summary of
Purpose: The DCE is the overall coordinator of the Church's
ministry of Christian Education. This person serves as the
principal staff resource to the Christian Education Committee and
older adult ministry.Primary Responsibilities:
- To serve as overall coordinator of the church's ministry of
- To work with the Christian Education Committee in providing
relevant support for the Church School and its officers and
- Offering encouragement, support, and assistance.
- Providing training for officers, teachers, and other
- Being visibly available for observations, consultation, and
- Teaching in the Church School as needed.
- To be present during the Church School hour each week. Any
absences are to be negotiated with the Senior Pastor.
- To participate with the Christian Education Committee in
developing curriculum recommendations to the Session.
- To coordinate planning and scheduling for special programs,
such as short-term studies, combined summer classes, Church School
- Provide leadership to the church's ministry to and with older
adults, including Saints Alive.
- To be responsible for coordinating Vacation Bible School with
assistance from the Christian Education Committee.
- To participate with the Pastors and others in providing
opportunities for personal and spiritual growth.
- To purchase supplies, materials, curricula, equipment, and
furnishings for the church's educational ministry in consultation
with the Christian Education committee.
- To resource the Logos Program (grades 1-5) and Middle School
Ministry (grades 6-8) in consultation with the Director and
Assistant Directors of the Logos/MSM program.
- To promote and encourage attendance at congregational retreats
as well as other church-related camps and conferences.
- To develop and supervise the educational resources of the
- Serve as advisor to the persons responsible for the church
- Additionally, the DCE shall work with the Christian Education
Committee to recommend policies for the library's operation,
including the system of selecting and purchasing new books and
- To assist in the Weekday Preschool Program as requested and
- To assist the Presbyterian Youth Fellowship as requested and
- To serve as advisor to the Nursery Committee.
- To attend and participate regularly in the meetings of the
Christian Education Committee.
- To collaborate with the CE chair and other staff members in
developing the agenda for the monthly Committee meetings.
- To participate with the CE Committee in developing its annual
budget, First Presbyterian Church Mooresville, NCA complete list of
responsibilities for the DCE in regard to Logos/MSM leadership may
be found in the Logos Program job descriptions.Position
This Position Description is revised April 2023 and supersedes any
- To monitor regularly the CE Committee's budget and to recommend
any necessary adjustments.
- To work with the appropriate staff members in administering a
system for ordering, storing and distributing supplies for the
church's programs of education.
- To work with the Christian Education Committee in carrying out
its responsibilities, including:
- Developing a list of teachers and/or leader vacancies to be
- Proposing candidates for teacher and leader positions to be
recruited by the Committee.
- Developing and implementing a continuing program of training
and continuing education for teachers and leaders.
- Designing and implementing an ongoing program of support and
appreciation for teachers and leaders.Secondary Responsibilities:
- To participate in regular staff meetings.
- To attend Session meetings as need, interest, or requests
dictate, with full privilege of the floor.
- To participate in the program of the Presbytery.
- To participate in an annual staff performance review.
- To be available to accept invitations to lead events or
workshops in the churches, as approved by the Senior Pastor/Head of
- To participate in professional support groups, continuing
education and training events.
- Participation in these to be in consultation with the Pastor.
Reimbursement Policy: Follow Reimbursement Policy procedures
established by the Finance Committee, including reconciliation of
receipts and invoices and completion of necessary forms. Receipts
and invoices must be turned into the Business Administrator by
fifteenth (15th) of each month.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to work with all age groups; to manage and recruit
volunteers; to work well with all staff members and committee
chairs; ability to work overtime, such as weekend and/or overnight
trips and retreats; intermediate computer skills to include work
processing, spreadsheets, and/or graphics software desired. Be
familiar with the ECO tenets for its form of government.Education
- B. A. degree in an educational field; 2-3 years' experience in
a Christian Education capacity.
Keywords: Ministrylist, Huntersville , Ministry Director, Executive , Mooresville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!