Company: Town of Huntersville
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Performs responsible and specialized clerical work in the Police
Department, including record keeping, assisting officers remotely
with research and interviews on police-related incidents, and
related work as required. Work is performed under the moderate
supervision of the Division Commander. Police Expediters work a
variety of shifts and days of the week.
Essential Duties of the Position
The following duties are those considered most essential to the
position. This does not preclude the delegation of other duties
considered as necessary by management to successfully complete an
assignment or project.
- Acts as receptionist; greets visitors; ascertains nature of
business; gives information within framework of established
policies and procedures or directs callers to appropriate authority
- Assists the public in obtaining copies of reports and other
- Accepts payment and issues receipts for copies of accident and
incident reports, fingerprinting fees, and other payments as
- Assists with receiving, verifying and processing a variety of
orders including criminal subpoenas, restraining orders, warrants
and other related documents.
- Performs data entry of various reports such as incident,
traffic accident, arrests, citations, field investigations, and
calls for service in the agencys Records Management System
- Responsible for checking MFR (Mobile Field Reporting) reports
for completeness, accuracy, and coding as a final review before
accepting into RMS.
- Responsible for name candidating in MFR to maintain the
integrity of the master names index file in RMS.
- Codes and enters reports into local, state, and nation
automated systems in compliance with DCI/UCR requirements; prepares
and submits related reports to the Division of Criminal
- Maintains radio contact with patrol officers and other police
personnel as needed.
- Assists officers by handling non-investigative reports or
adding supplemental information on existing reports; enters
investigative crime reports. Properly handle, tag and store found
property and evidence received at the front desk.
- Researches or enters information such as criminal histories,
stolen property, firearms, and missing persons in various computer
- Receive and process information from public via telephone and
/or personal contact for written documentation of non-emergency
police related matters or police investigative purposes.
- Conducts interviews with citizens, victims and witnesses;
analyzes information; prepares and maintains extensive file notes
and statements as needed.
- Conducts background research on assigned cases.
- Coordinates with other agencies, such as utilities departments,
to assist in responding to emergency calls.
- Maintains ability to efficiently and accurately operate
standard office machines and software programs, including copy
machine and programs associated with the police records
- Enters data into related systems accurately and in a timely
- Handles confidential or sensitive information in an appropriate
manner with the public and other agencies as appropriate.
- Composes and edits a variety of correspondence, reports,
memoranda, and other material related to position responsibilities;
checks for accuracy in spelling, punctuation and grammar; errors or
omissions; proofreads final proof of materials prior to
- Maintains records and systems in compliance with record
retention requirements for court orders and state or federal
- May receive initial media inquiries; provides information to
media as determined by department policy; provides information on
special department activities; directs requests for interviews to
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
Minimum Required Education and Experience
General knowledge of modern police procedures and record keeping
requirements; general knowledge of the classification of criminal
offenses and terminology; the general criminal justice system and
its basic proceedings; general knowledge of and ability to
understand standard office practices, procedures, equipment and
clerical techniques; general knowledge of business English,
spelling and arithmetic; general knowledge of town and departmental
programs, policies and terminology; general knowledge of research
methods and techniques and the ability to collect organize and
analyze data; ability to type and transcribe dictation accurately
at a reasonable rate of speed; ability to file and retrieve
ability to exercise sound judgment and provide accurate
information; ability to establish and maintain exceptional customer
service skills to deal courteously and effectively with the
coworkers, managers, and the general public; ability to operate a
variety of office and computer equipment and systems to produce
documents and correspondence; ability to understand and follow oral
and written instructions. ability to communicate effectively orally
and in writing; ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
High school diploma or GED and considerable work experience in
police records data entry with extensive knowledge of departments
Records Management System, or equivalent combination of education
Must obtain and maintain North Carolina SBI/ DCI Certification
within 120 days of employment.
This work requires the occasional exertion of over 10 pounds of
force; work requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to
finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive
motions and occasionally requires standing and walking; work
requires close vision, distance vision, depth perception and color
perception; vocal communication is required for expressing or
exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required
to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires
preparing and analyzing written or computer data; work has no
exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a
moderately noisy location (e.g. business office with computer
printers, light traffic).
Keywords: Town of Huntersville, Huntersville , Police, Other , huntersville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!